There was a rule in my house growing up strictly forbidding singing at the dinner table. It may sound strange, but the trouble was, I had an overly bubbly younger sister who sang constantly, and a rather melancholy younger brother who would scowl and say, "Make she quit." Thus, the no singing at the table rule.
I never thought I might have to institute the same rule at my own house! I also never thought my more laid back husband and I would end up with a daughter as outgoing and gregarious as my younger sister, but here we are. My mom tells me she thinks Emma sings more than Holly did - what are we in for!?! It seems the singing at our dinner table also is a disruption to eating - on Emma's part primarily. I love that she is so happy & at just two knows so many songs and sings them almost all day long. She loves an audience (grocery store clerk, passers-by on the street, neigbors, friends, and especially anyone who doesn't notice her at first), but it is not required. It brings a smile to my face when I hear her belting out the ABC's while sitting on the potty by herself! I also love her creative approach to the names of her songs - "Texas upon" being "The Eyes of Texas," "Night Dear" for "You are my sunshine" (the 2nd verse begins, "the other night dear"-she knows all words to both verses), "swish swish swish" for "The wheels on the bus" (the wipers on the bus go swish swish swish), and so on. Her repertoire is ever-increasing, and she is actually beginning to stay on key (sort of!). I love to hear her sing. What joys that sweet child brings!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love sweet Emma stories! She is such a joy. Wonder if the next one will be as vivacious or more laid back. I can't wait to find out! Love you- Summer
I hope Hayley has a love for singing like Emma does! I'm so excited that you're blogging---maybe you told me but I had forgotten. I'm so thankful for you and for sweet Emma. Love you--
Post a Comment