Last week I heard Jenni New say something profound that has left a mark- I can't get it out of my head! She said, "If you're going to pray about it, don't worry about it. If you're going to worry about it, don't pray." Sounds simple, but as I thought about it, I realized how often I take things to the Lord, say "Amen," and immediately take it back. I think about all the options, the possibilities, consider my thoughts, and basically continue to worry (as if my worrying can accomplish anything at all!). I guess it ultimately comes back to the truth that I must trust God to be able to handle everything that comes my way. Amazing that I can wonder if the Maker of heaven and earth can really handle my 2-year-old's ever-increasing sassiness, among other things! Its easy to chalk up my worrying to just being in a woman's nature, or more specifically my nature, but that's letting myself off way too easy. Its just a symptom of a much greater problem, and I want to give that one over completely to the Lord. I don't want to be known as a worrier. One of my new favorite songs is "Legacy" by Nichole Nordeman. I know its not a new song, but I have recently become a big fan of hers & have really listened to the words of that song. It tackles the question, "What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind?". I have no desire for fame or fortune, and I am really quite content with my status as wife, mother, and homemaker. But what will people remember about me? I hope that I will be the kind of person that lives as a "child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically - and leave that kind of legacy."
Speaking of my sassy 2-year-old, who would have thought that going "tee-tee" on the potty 4 times in a day would be such cause for celebration?!? Yesterday was a big day in our household! Though she daily pushes all my buttons, and is determined to do everything, even the things she really can't to, by herself (the phrase "I'll DO it!" is getting really old around here), the joy Emma brings me daily is one of the unspeakable "lights" in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Julia-
Thanks for sharing those words of wisdom from Jenni. I love her! I found them to be especially meaningful to me now as we try to sell and buy a house, and move, and all of the details are out of my control and in God's hands. If I'm going to pray about it, then I need to let it go! Thanks for the reminder! I love you and I'm so glad that you are blogging now.
Post a Comment