Monday, July 02, 2007


What a Difference A Year Can Make...




























I can hardly believe it, but Addie Kate turned one yesterday! It is amazing how much more quickly her first year went than Emma's. We watched the video of the day she was born this week, and I can still remember it so well. She has been such a good baby (aside from the refusal to nurse, but we got over that one long ago!). It has been one of life's greatest joys to watch her grow, just as it is with her sister. It is so amazing to think that a year ago Addie could do nothing for herself, and now she is almost walking, and definitely prefers to do things (like eating) all by herself. Emma has enjoyed helping her learn to walk. She is such a good big sister. We're working on her understanding that she is not the mommy and that being gentle is very important, but she loves her baby sister. We talk all the time about what good friends they are & how they will always be close.
So, the Lord was gracious in giving us a sunny morning for our pool party yesterday! We had a wonderful time celebrating with many good friends and family. It was fun to host many of them in our new home for the first time. We are so blessed to have so many people we love and who love us and the Lord. We have an amazing support group for which we are so thankful. In every way God has been good to us. We give Him all the glory, honor & praise!
A quick Emma story - we talk about heaven and spiritual things a lot. Her innocence and trust in God is refreshing - she asks regularly, "Mom, are we going to heaven today?" I always tell her that only God knows when it will be time for us to go home with Him. (I don't let on that the thought of her going today terrifies me - looks like I need to work on trusting God!) The other day Emma was asking me how Jesus was going to take us to heaven. I told her I don't know exactly, but that the Bible says that Jesus will come back & the trumpets will sound, and that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow & every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. She thought a minute, then said, "Mom, when the trumpets sound, I'm going to curtsy." I can picture it now...
What a wonderful life.

11 comments:

Candice said...

Happy birthday Addie Kate! A year has flown by! What a sweetie!

Jesus will love Emma's sweet curtsy!

Kendra said...

Happy birthday to your sweet baby! I sure enjoyed getting to know Emma in class Saturday night - she informed me that her sister was having a birthday on Sunday, and would have a swim party. She is CUTE, and I love how much she and her friends love each other!

Courtney said...

Those are wonderful pictures! The party was perfect, and we loved being with you as always. I am so thrilled that Kailey has a precious friend like Addie! Having Emma as a friend has already been a wonderful blessing for John.

Your story about Emma made me cry. Precious girl. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

Leilanni said...

Happy Birthday to Addie! She is such a cutie and I love those pigtails! Thanks for sharing the Emma story - no wonder Jesus said we should become more childlike in our faith. What a sweet spirit she has!

Naomi said...

What sweet pictures and precious words from Emma! Don't you wish you could see God's reaction to what our kids say sometimes.

I am glad you got a break from the rain for the party. We don't have a pool, but we now have a pond underneath the swing set. I have enjoyed the cooler weather and not having to water our flowers and grass.

Shelly said...

I still can't believe Addie is ONE. And I REALLY can't believe Emma is about to be FOUR! Where does the time go?? I love you and your precious family!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Addie Kate! And I love the Emma story...I pray that I'll be close enough to see that! What a precious soul!
Lord come quickly!
Hugs!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday, Addie! She is absolutely beautiful! I love checking out your page to see how the girls are doing. Have a blessed day! Love, Susan

Kara said...

I am glad you found my blog! I check yours out every now and then..

Good to hear you got to see The Holiday. It's a favorite of ours, so maybe we'll watch it again next time! : )

Hope you are enjoying your new house (and pool!)

Unknown said...

These pictures are so sweet! What a cute girl Addie is (and her sister, too, of course!). Take care!

Summer said...

I wish I could have been there for the party! The cake was adorable. Where did you find it?

And I love the story about Emma curtseying at the sound of the trumpets. I love that girl!