Tuesday, May 30, 2006






Destin, FL

What a week! We have just returned from a week in Destin, Florida with 3 other families & had a blast. It was our first real family vacation together, and Emma had such a wonderful time. We went with our dear friends the Willbanks, Waltons & Critz's and with a total of 5 children under the age of 3 (Emma being the oldest at 2 1/2!) it was crazy, but so much fun! I think we all enjoyed seeing the beach through our children's eyes - when we arrived on the beach that first day and we were putting Emma's bathing suit on to get in the water she stood there naked & threw her hands up in the air & squealed in total excitement! It was precious. She had so much fun playing in the water & the sand (she asked before we went if the beach had a sandbox - she was pleasantly surprised!).

There is so much I could tell about the trip, but I will try to be brief: the first few days were a little uncertain with an infestation of gnats, one trip to the minor emergency clinic, a stomach bug on top of that, and all the kids taking turns having complete meltdowns! But thankfully, it improved dramatically from there. Getting to spend so much time with our friends kids gave us all a new love for each of them as little individuals - John was always busy, usually building something or doing something mechanical and always very intent on his "job" at hand. He and Emma struck up a new friendship, mostly involving chasing each other around & screaming; Hayley loved the sand & always looked like she was trying to take a bath in it - and, that child could get into any bag left in any place & find things you thought you had lost! She was a trooper even with an ear infection. Love that girl!; Garrett was the most smiley 9 month old we have ever been around, and we quickly learned that he also has an unbelievably high pitched squeal to accompany his little temper when he's hungry :); baby Jack at 4 months old must have been the most laid back child I have ever seen. He was content on the beach in his carrier, in his swing with 4 kids screaming around him, and had the cutest little laugh (my favorite was when Tra would fake laugh in his face until he giggled!). I think everyone there was amused to learn that Emma can and will sing for hours at a time, and that she will do her best to get the attention of every adult in the room when she has a new trick to show off.
It was fun to share in all their lives so closely for that week. I am so thankful for these and the other dear friends the Lord has so richly blessed us with. They are truly family. I am so glad to be home (my 34 week pregnant body is thanking me for being out of the car!), but I find myself wanting to call & just see what all my friends are doing after a week of constant togetherness! But, on to other things! Baby Addie Kate will be here before we know it...so much to do, and so little time. I am thanking the Lord for the blessing of good quality time with my little family this week before it changes forever!

4 comments:

Summer said...

Sounds like an eventful and exciting trip. I loved seeing the pictures and look forward to seeing many more when I come to stay with you next week. Can't wait to see you at your shower on Thursday! I love ya-
Summer
P.S. I tried to talk Heather into blogging so we could see pictures of baby Chance. I see that she's got a "test" post up. We'll see. . .

Blair said...

You have such a pretty little girl! She's always smiling in the pictures - I think that's awesome.

Candice said...

Hi Julia! You look so beautiful, and we are so excited about your second daughter on her way! Emma is a cutie. I have enjoyed catching up with your family. Take it easy these last few weeks!

Love,
Candice S.

angie c said...

Candice is right....you look beautiful!! I know you are counting down the minutes until #2 arrives. Keep us posted, can't wait too see the announcement on your blog. Love y'all!
angie